Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
Greetings with a few questions
Hey guys, I'm a 3D modeler in the making. I've wandered around this site in and out for a long while, but I've finally registered. I'd like to make a few requests wherever they're allowed. I'll just make a few requests for the time being, one per game and only from a few games. I'm looking forward to some productivity.
Thanked by:
(09-29-2024, 06:51 PM)RanchBurner Wrote: I'd like to make a few requests wherever they're allowed, but I see I first gotta wait a few days before posting in the games' comments.
Gonna stop you right there -- requests are not allowed on the site comments (something that even the comment boxes on the site pages dictate), posting them will result in your comment being deleted and a warning being given accordingly. Read the site rules, specifically the note for rule #6.
Thanked by: RanchBurner
Oh, well thanks for the notice. I'd rather be self-reliant anyway. So how about asking questions about software used to extract models, textures, and the like?
Thanked by:
(10-02-2024, 12:23 PM)RanchBurner Wrote: Oh, well thanks for the notice. I'd rather be self-reliant anyway. So how about asking questions about software used to extract models, textures, and the like?

Asking questions about tools is fine. Also, not sure you understood the requests rule correctly - you can make requests, but only in the Discord (link in my sig), no exceptions.
applecuckoo - ripper of sounds, sprites and models

Places to get help:
DYKG/VG Resource Discord - This is where most of the ripping experts on the VG Resource hang out these days, so you should probably start here. Any requests to rip stuff (i.e. "Please rip sounds/models/sprites from game X!") are only allowed here as per the rules.

ResHax forum - Another forum that is home to most of the reverse engineers who were on the old ZenHax and XenTax forums. A great place to get help for any mysterious files. I'm also there under the same username.

And remember, always upload example files. That way, people don't have to dig in and fetch them for you.
Thanked by:
(10-02-2024, 02:49 PM)applecuckoo Wrote:
(10-02-2024, 12:23 PM)RanchBurner Wrote: Oh, well thanks for the notice. I'd rather be self-reliant anyway. So how about asking questions about software used to extract models, textures, and the like?

Asking questions about tools is fine. Also, not sure you understood the requests rule correctly - you can make requests, but only in the Discord (link in my sig), no exceptions.

I'm curious why it's allowed in the discord, but not here. Does it have something to do with the Games TOS and Copyright stuff, so it's just to be safe?
Thanked by:
It is exclusively to reduce spam. The reality is that tons of people join simply to litter the comments or people's showcase/feedback/project threads with requests and do nothing else. We moved the requests section to the Discord since the forums will eventually be retired and we've never allowed requests on the sites. By having a dedicated section for them, it contains them and stops spam from cluttering up everything else.
Thanked by:
(10-03-2024, 10:56 AM)Petie Wrote: It is exclusively to reduce spam. The reality is that tons of people join simply to litter the comments or people's showcase/feedback/project threads with requests and do nothing else. We moved the requests section to the Discord since the forums will eventually be retired and we've never allowed requests on the sites. By having a dedicated section for them, it contains them and stops spam from cluttering up everything else.

Alright, I'll check 'em out soon. When I'm ready, I'll just make one request at a time there. I figured to avoid making a list...
Thanked by:
For the record, joining the community just to ask others to do things for you is not explicitly disallowed but strongly discouraged. If you're here to learn though, there are plenty of people who would likely be willing to point you in the right direction.
Thanked by:
(10-03-2024, 11:01 PM)Petie Wrote: For the record, joining the community just to ask others to do things for you is not explicitly disallowed but strongly discouraged. If you're here to learn though, there are plenty of people who would likely be willing to point you in the right direction.

Well I'm here to learn too. Like I said earlier, I may ask others what tools they used for extracting content per game. So I can follow along...
Thanked by: