Users browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)
Paraemon's Comprehensive Ripping Project Thread [Expansion Station]
There's not really much I can add to what Petie and Barack Obama have said previously but it seems there's some misunderstandings.

Quote:i don't see a point in having level maps be present on TSR, it doesn't even have any objects

Not having the objects is the point. The objects, Badniks etc are entirely separate entities to the map layout and thus including them is unnecessary for the purposes of them being ripped, as they are not for walkthrough purposes, just layout design. They're ripped because perhaps there is someone out there who is in want of a section of the actual map instead of compiling chunks together, which is the purpose of their existence.

Quote:if people wanna recreate level maps they are going to go the the source where level maps are well documented or just use tools like SonLVL for example

Nothing to stop them. However the point above still applies, and the maps are extracted in the manner as I have done as they can be exported without the objects etc included.

Quote:or example. Sonic 1
and Sonic 2 maps i can understand their use since they are small but for Sonic 3 it's very disorganized and very inconvenient because they are split into multiple sprite sheets.

If they're not to your liking, then respectfully that's your decision. It is up to the staff alone to approach me to resolve this, and after having done this for the past few years without complaint from them, I can only reasonably conclude that they are fine with this. I'm not apologising for simplifying my rip-and-compile process in my own way.

Quote:It is also weird that tiles[Specifically 8x8 tiles] are not ripped even tho blocks and chunks are created with code(or specifically loading binary data) to place the tiles in the blocks and the chunks.

I've remarked on it previously with the blocks but overall it takes a lot more time to work out smaller content irrespective of how little the target content is, especially on the scale of a stage/background, as blocks can take about twice or so time to sort out than chunks. And be that as it may for blocks and chunks, tiles are my final priority.

Quote:While i do understand the purpose of showing every possible palette difference(including the ones that last for singular frame) for the tileset wouldn't be easier to just make a palette table with description on what it is instead of making it a different sheet[e.g Ice Cap background having multiple sheets]?

Also said before regarding Ice Cap is that inevitably if all the palettes were on a singular sheet and adjusted blindly from that, it'll end in an user making mistakes and constant questions about where things are going wrong, this is why they're split as there's only so much handholding I can do for explaining the way things works in the rips, and this by far was the "best" conclusion I reached. Each individual palette that adjusts in-game is treated on a case-by-case basis anyway.

Quote:Also, why are fade palettes included if it's done thru code?

If you mean the flash cycle from S3K and that one instance in CD, then it's purely because it's a simple technical/aesthetic element and something I personally feel is fun to include, should people also want to learn how to apply it to where it doesn't occur.

Quote:rip sprites that are in the files and not things that are rendered in real time thru code[e.g Mode 7 effect].

Mode 7, as you suggest, is something I consider hands off - parallax breakdowns are to showcase the dynamic of a background where applicable, but Mode 7, at least where CD's special stage is concerned, is a mess to observe in tile form and so dynamically changeable on a variety of player control circumstances and positionings that I feel there is not enough time in a human lifespan to have at them all - example, it took eight days solid for the Carnival Night maps, I can only reasonably calculate it would be orders of magnitude longer to compile all 360 angles from a single point at the floor level from a CD Special Stage. If other effects can be ripped, though, I will do that, as it is on relatively simple hardware.

Quote:theres no need for stuff like how spindash animation would look like with every dust frames

Like the maps, they're there for the purposes of quickly getting them in a form together should the user want to.
[Image: WatSig.png]
Thanked by: Barack Obama

Messages In This Thread
RE: Paraemon's Comprehensive Ripping Project Thread [Expansion Station] - by Paraemon - 07-12-2024, 05:33 AM