Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
TNBC: Oogie's Revenge Sound Rips (Jack Voicelines + SFX)
Tongue 
Happy "sorta close sorta not" Halloween, folks!
I decided to rip some of the sound effects and more importantly, almost all of Jack's voiceclips from TNBC: Oogie's Revenge. I haven't played the game in a while and I haven't used this site for an even longer while, so please forgive me if I missed out on a voiceline or misnamed a file or messed up a fourm rule. These are gonna be uploaded to sounds resource but I might as well give it a test run on this site too so it has a place to be downloaded incase the submission gets rejected (I hope not... But only time will tell.) 
You can download these right here and you can read the readme file for more info.
(btw these are MEGA links since the 1kb upload limit on this site kinda stinks... Sorry not sorry.  Ouch! )

So while I still have your attention...
Quote:
here's a pretty funny story about this, I'm not making anything up here, this is a true story. It was the nightmare before 2024. A year ago, I was streaming Oogie's Revenge, a rather underrated hack n slash game by Capcom to a couple of my friends, one of the abilities Jack was able to do was grab the opponent and launch him around. However everytime this ability is used, Jack would scream out "SOUL ROBBER!" It's one of those repetitive sound effect usages that sounds really grating at first but it would kinda numb itself out the more you play it. I found it pretty endearing, I grew up playing games with ridiculous sound design like this all the time. This singular voiceline started a really funny inside joke between my friends and I, and that would be amplified by the moment Jack Skellington released in Fortnite. We wanted to add the Soul Robber voiceclip to our discord server so I checked to see if Oogie's Revenge was on Sounds Resource and there this was an entry by an anonymous uploader which had sounds that weren't named and have sounds I never even heard during my time with this game. Interesting, but not really what I was looking for. So I decide to take matters into my own hands and try to rip the sounds. I started by extracting the ps2 version and- Oh right, I forgot that the PS2 disc format is encrypted... Okay, so I went with plan B; I obtained the Xbox version of the game, which does have its files available. I went through the files and... Wait, what is a "XWB" file? So I did a quick bit of searching and figuring out how to open the through a FooBar2000 Component. So now I had to find that iconic phrase, so I went through jaksys.xwb and like striking gold, I managed to find the "SOUL ROBBER!" sound effect. All of this took place in a VC so we all lost our marbles at the sight of it. I converted it to WAV and it's been forever immortalized in our server's soundboard and a couple of memes we made outta it. This joke never actually died to my surprise.
Fast forward to today, it's now October and the new Fortnitemares is happening, Pumpkin King and Sally got added to the shop, and like tradition, the movie was fresh in the public's mind again and for my friends and I, the game was also fresh in our heads. I managed to recreate Jack's Soul Robber using one of the items in the game. Okay, that wasn't TODAY today but the point is, it got relevant again. Getting back on track, Right as I was about to do some drawing, my friends asked me to join them in a Roblox game as there was a kid who was speaking Spanish in Roblox VC wearing a Jack Skellington avatar bothering them. So for a funny idea to get the kid's attention off my friend (in a non malicious way, I'm not a bully Angry ). I thought it'd be humorous to bust out my Jack Skellington avatar and the Soul Robber sound effect on my soundboard. I unplugged my drawing tablet and I hopped on the game, switching my mic to the soundboard. The plan worked out pretty well. I got the kid's attention away from my friend and now they're flocking over to me, a bullet I intended to take for my friend. I had no idea what they're saying but it seems like they were pretty excited to see another Jack Skellington and followed me around. Another kid, also had vc, this time speaking english decided to join in on the flock. They both called me "Saul Robert" since that was the only sound I had for the bit, they started to repeat after me like it was an echo chamber. It was pretty funny, but that was when I came to the realization that a repeating the "SOUL ROBBER" sound effect like a Pokemon is gonna get me so far until the bit wears off the funny factor, I was underprepared. So as a quick act of improvising, I decided to obtain the XBOX version of the game again in an attempt to get more sounds. While that was happening, I decided to mic up and do a shitty Jack Skellington impression on the spot and I had to go all in for the bit and act in-character too. (Although, my friends said it was pretty decent lol.) So a couple rounds of MMX happened, one of the moments I'll mention is when I went sheriff and I gathered around my friends as people were getting vanquished one by one, one of my other friends who was across the hall was screaming and telling me that the murderer was the other Jack right before they died. So I decided to approach the hallway and get my gun out, right beside me was the other Jack Skellington. Like a game of quickdraw, I had to quickly react to him. I pretty much just shot him before he approached me, in which I had to follow up with saying in vc, "I'm sorry, Friend. As the real Pumpkin King, I had to shoot you just to protect all of Halloween town." Saying that as I felt a little bad, but also wanting to commit to the "Meet n Greet" bit. other than that, my friends and I had a fun time with this session. But the echo chamber I accidentally created with the "SOUL ROBBER!" sound almost drove me to insanity since I was being followed around everywhere ingame and kids were just saying it out loud. It wasn't like an "angry" sort of insane, it was just "oh god what have I started?" sort of way and I wanted some space away from the crowd. My fault, 100%. At the same time I found it endearing, they were clearly having fun. Although they kept asking me to accept their friend request. But I couldn't have the heart to say "No" flat out, but I really didn't want to accept it, so I pretty much just said "I'm sorry, but I have my remaining friend slots for my friends at Halloween Town." Oogie's Revenge was fully downloaded again and unfortunately, it meant that it was time for me to rip more sounds from this game. Just like how Jack leaves town to find new ideas for his holiday, I got off Roblox and got to work on ripping these sounds. Was it a nice thing for me to decline the friend request? Eh, maybe not. Did I have fun with it? Yes, very much so. Sure I may or may not have given these roblox kids a new vocal stim from a game barely anyone knows and I may have irreparably reduced Jack Skellington as "Saul Robert" to these kids. Who cares? I made their day. 
But one thing's for certain, they'll be destined to grow up as DMC/HacknSlash enthusiasts in the whatever future.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
TNBC: Oogie's Revenge Sound Rips (Jack Voicelines + SFX) - by sonicfan1300 - 10-19-2024, 07:12 AM