Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Japanese names: native or Western order?
I am currently preparing 3D and Live2D models fromĀ Toaru Majutsu no Index: Imaginary Fest. Many of the characters with Japanese names have both a given name and a surname. Does this site have a preferred order for these names?

Some of the characters have sprites/models from other games on here already. One has "Mikoto" as her given name and "Misaka" as her surname. Most of her entries on The Spriters Resource have it as "Mikoto Misaka" (given name first), but a couple have it as "Misaka Mikoto" (surname first). This makes it seem like we prefer the Western name order over the original Japanese name order, but I don't know if it's actually indicative of what is considered best practice here.
Thanked by:
I don't believe there's a preference here. It all depends on how the submitter writes the name.
Thanked by:
^ Pretty much that. Though we tend to lean more towards Western ordering for character names, it's not exactly something that's mandatory for submissions. That being said, you're more than welcome to submit revisions for the names to make them consistent across the site.
Thanked by:
Personally, I'm using forename surename (western variant), since this is an English-speaking site and easier for people to understand.
But of course you can also use the JPN version, if it is a preference of yours.
Thanked by:
Usually I just go with how the game itself puts it because some have done it both ways like King of Fighters where the Japanese Mai Shiranui has her surname last but Korean Kim Kaphwan has surname first.
Doofenshmirtz: This is a little bit awkward but have you seen my escape jet keys? (Perry nods) What, you have? Well that's great! So where are they? (Perry looks away) You won't tell me? Is this because you don't speak or are you just being a jerk?
~Phineas and Ferb, "One Good Scare Ought to Do It!" (2008)
Thanked by: